Saturday 25 October 2008

Velodrome Part 2


So, I'm standing at reception handing back my helmet & shoes and paying for my session on the track, when out of the corner of my eye I see a Team GB tracksuit walking in the main entrance.

It's Chris Hoy, four times Olympic Gold Medalist, and multiple World Champion. Chris comes right to where I'm standing and I have to move so that he can sign in. I decide to take my chance and ask for his autograph and explain that I've come down from Aberdeen for my first time on the track. What a nice guy!

The lady at reception then tells me that I'm in luck as Team GB are training at the velodrome this afternoon, and Chris is running late. My plans to head into Manchester and do a bit of shopping go right out the window as she suggests that I stay and watch them. She very kindly books me a taxi to take me to the airport at 4pm. I've now got two hours to enjoy watching my heroes. It really can't get any better than this.

2 minutes later it does. I'm walking up to the stands when I see this girl running towards me. It's Vicky Pendleton, Olympic sprint champion. Seems that she's late too. A quick "hello" and Vicky's off to get changed and warmed up. She's gorgeous. I'm in heaven.

I take up a seat (I'm the only spectator in the velodrome) right on the start / finish line and settle in to enjoy the afternoon. The guys warm up then get right into some serious training, mostly involving motor pacing behind a motor bike which then swings off and lets the rider simulate the end of a race. For the sprinters like Chris & Vicky it's an eyeballs out sprint for the line. For the pursuiters like Jo Roswell and Bradley Wiggins it's a couple of k's timed by the coaches. It's quality stuff.

At about 3pm I head back down to reception to get myself a coffee. I get out of the lift and have to climb around three guys having a meeting beside the coffee machine. It's only Dave Brailsford, GB Cycling Performance Director and Rod Ellingworth, coach to our road stars like Cav. Wow!

I was waiting for someone to pinch me and I'd wake up in the Arndale Centre or something, but no, this was all real. As Katrina said on the text later in the afternoon it was one of life's shiney happy days!

1 comment:

Owen said...

awesome. lucky you