Saturday 25 October 2008

Velodrome Part 1

I was in Manchester today for my first experience of riding on the track. I'd never ridden a fixed wheel bike either, and when I got there and saw how steep the banking was at either end of the track I was bricking it!

However, after about 20 minutes I'd got the knack of the fixed wheel (on a fixed you can't freewheel - if you try to you'll fall off!!) and the banking was becoming less scary. Actually, when you relax into it and accelerate through it then it's a piece of piss.

The last 20 minutes I was flying round, lapping a number of riders and keeping up with the fast experienced guys. It was just an awesome experience and I'm a total convert to track riding. It's just a bugger that we don't have a decent track in Scotland. I'll just have to find reasons to get back down to Manchester......

After showering I then had lunch in the cafe. Pasta and bolognese sauce - the lady kept on piling it on. She must have thought I needed feeding up. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any better, it stepped up several notches. More of that later..........

No comments: