Saturday 25 October 2008

Going out the back

After crashing, going out the back is the worst thing that can happen to a racing cyclist. It's akin to the walk of shame. Your legs just can't hold the pace anymore, they're burning up and your body just shuts down. You slip slowly out the back and then the elastic that's been holding you all together in the bunch snaps and off you go, jetisoned into space. You are the weakest link, goodbye!

It's a soul destroying moment. All of the energy just flows out of your body, your head goes down, and you soldier bravely on as the bunch disappears up the road. The emotions at this point are a mixture of disappointment, shame, embarassment, anger at your legs for giving up. It's not pleasant.

In my very first race, back in 2006 I went out the back in the first 100 metres! Since then I've had a few great days on the bike, where I've contested the finish (Culloden 2007 - finished 5th, Ythan APR 2007 - 2nd, and Kincraig 2008 - 12th). I've also had a few days when the elastic has snapped and out the back I've gone.

At the Ythan road race in June last year I went out the back in the first lap at Methlick and was disgusted with myself. I spoke to my coach that evening and vowed never to race again. Of course I calmed down, dusted myself down, and trained harder. The embarassing situations have stopped, however as I've gained in experience I've started racing with better riders. You're going to get dropped racing with these guys, it's just a question of when.

In 2009 one of my goals will be to stay in the bunch with the stronger riders for the entire race. That means training harder over the winter and losing weight. Another 6 - 8 pounds would be good. I'm determined to be able to race with these guys and I'm going to do whatever it takes.

No comments: