Saturday 25 October 2008

Cairngorm Day Two


We woke up to wet weather again. This time it was windy with light drizzle. The HQ for today was at the Highland Wildlife Centre - quite an odd place, but very nice! The morning race was a 10 mile time trial.

It had been my goal all season to break 25 minutes for a 10, and this was my last chance. Although I was tired from the day before, I gave it everything I had and finished in a time of 24:55. Fantastic! Hopefully I'll still have something in the tank for the afternoon......

By lunchtime it had dried up. It was still windy, and cold, however, but at least it was dry. As the race was only 27 miles, I decided to copy Nicole Cooke and Rob Hayles and race in my skinsuit. I was feeling really good, and doing plenty of work in the bunch, however no-one else was working so I sat up and took it nice and easy on the first lap. By the second lap we had hoovered up the first group and again I put in a couple of attacks to try to split the bunch but no-one came with me. Bloody frustrating!! After Kingusie, a group of three (including Marco) got away on the hill.

I had to dig deep to get back on, but managed to do so along with Ythan's Dave Carnegie. The five of us then worked together to try to make it to the finish without getting caught. However, about 2 miles from home we were caught by groups 3 & 4. We managed to stay with them however, and contested the sprint. Fortunately for Marco it was uphill, and he managed to finish a fantastic 3rd! This was against some classy riders too. I finished in 13th place, 15 seconds behind Marco.

A really good weekend's work.

No comments: