Saturday 25 October 2008

Ullapool Sportive

So, finally we reached the end of the season. And to celebrate we'd entered what would be my first sportive - 130 hilly miles from Ullapool. Over 3,000m of climbing!

7 of us had rented a villa, with fantastic views over the harbour area. We even had a basement den, with pool table, table football, dart board and plasma screen with Sky TV. Sorted!On Friday night we dined on pasta, followed by apple pie and custard. Lovely! A couple of beers and we went off to bed around 11pm.

We were up at 6am on Saturday to eat breakfast, get packed for the day, and then head off to the start for our 7.30am start. It was pissing down and blowing a gale. Early on on the ride I nearly came off on two descents at 35mph+ as gusting winds caught my front wheel. I was bricking it! For once I was happier on the climbs than on the descents!

I felt strong and was having to wait for some of our group (we'd decided to try and stay together). After 40 miles me and Andy & Fiona Duncan, who were the stronger riders, decided to push on ahead or else we'd be out there for over 10 hours! None of us fancied that.

With no longer having to take it easy we were able to push on at a decent pace and started to catch groups ahead of us. In no time we'd clawed back a lot of the time that we'd lost.

For the last 40 miles I felt really sick - eating nothing but energy bars, gels, and drinks doesn't do a lot for your stomach! Eventually we made it round in 8hours 37minutes, thoroughly soaked, very tired, but satisfied. It had been a physical challenge (I'd never ridden more than 100 miles before, and that included a lunch stop plus two coffee stops!) and I'd made it comfortably.

My computer showed that I'd used up over 7,500 calories. Andy had gone through 8,200!!! We have our own Deeside 200km event this Sunday so I now know what to expect. Bring it on!

No comments: