Saturday 22 August 2009

Frustration!!!

I have decided that this has definitely been my most frustrating racing season so far. Okay, I've only done 3 but none the less....

At the end of February I was flying. 10lbs lost over the winter, in our training APR's I was riding everyone off my wheel. Even the good guys! Then CRASH!!! in the first race at Gifford. I went there believing I could win, and I was out of the race within the first mile! Still, nothing broken and I was okay for training camp in Mallorca.

In Mallorca my climbing was great. On the climb to Lluc I was second only to Ken and he'd taken 5 minutes off his PB. I was really looking forward to racing when we got back.

Then my luck started to turn bad. My entry for the second Super 6 race never arrived so I had to sit out the race despite being in the form of my life. Then I went to Holland with Andy & his football team and picked up a nasty cold. Three weeks later I was back on the bike.

This setback meant that I wasn't fit enough for the 3rd Super 6, but by the middle of May I was riding well again and looking forward to the Dundee Stage Race at the end of the month. This was when I got the flu, cue another two weeks off. Super 6 number four missed now. It was turning into a crap season.

Still, I could look forward to building up in June for the national 25. Erm, no. Entry lost in the ppost and as it's a championship I'm not allowed a late entry. I was even more pissed off when I saw the number of people on the start sheet who DNS. I was desperate to race!!

So, you get the drift. Well, July wasn't bad and I did a great ride in Super 6 no 5 here in Aberdeen. But then we're in to holiday time and there's a dearth of races. Good form again but nowhere to show it. Grrrrr!!!

And now I've got an injury so I have to miss this weekend's race and wasn't able to contest the finish at the nationals last week. Hey ho! With a month of the season left I've still got a few target events and I'm now building up for them.

The Cairngorm Cycling festival at Aviemore the first weekend of September is a cracker. Four events over two days including a hill-climb up Cairngorm Mountain (!) and a 10TT on one of Scotland's fastest courses.

I'm now crossing everything, have bought a black cat, am standing in every bit of dog shit I can find, and avoiding walking under ladders. Can I have some good luck for September please? Pretty please??

No comments: