Saturday 3 April 2010

Winter '09 Update


God I'm crap at keeping this up to date! So much to do, so little time......


Well. where to start? Began winter training in November and then we had the worst winter in living memory. Snow, ice, more snow, more ice. You get the picture. In total, I spent 13 weekends training indoors on the turbo. Thirteen! That's three months!! Drives you mad, I tell ye!


Still, in amongst those turbo sessions I managed to fit in some long "rides" including an epic 4 hour day, which I survived thanks to watching dvd's! Wall Street & something else with Michael Douglas in it. So. despite the weather I still got the miles in.


Unfortunately I couldn't get out to Mallorca with the boys this year, so my training's a bit behind last year. I've only done one race - a local "sporting" TT, whereas this time last year I'd raced 3 times. But I'm pretty relaxed about that - it's a long season and my main objectives are in June.


The big change for me this Spring has been training to power, having taken the plunge and invested in an SRM powermeter at the beginning of February. As a geek, it's great fun having all that data to analyse. You can also see exactly where the doors come off in a race and I'm starting to learn what my strengths & weaknesses really are, rather than just guessing. Nice!


We're now into April and I've got a week off. Did a 1 minute power test last night (ave 522 watts), which was much harder than it sounds! Today was a 2 hour ride with 2 x 20 minute tempo intervals (@250 watts) which felt great.


Tomorrow we're paying homage to De Ronde on the clubrun with a 60 mile ride jam-packed full of short, sharp, hills. Can't wait! I love De Ronde, my favourite race, and after the ride I'll be heading home to the sofa, with a couple of Leffe by my side, to watch the action as it happens.


I'll try and get my act together this season and update more often. Promise!

No comments: