Friday 18 September 2009

Season's over.....

My 2009 racing season ended with a whimper on Sunday at the Ythan APR. 40 miles on a rolling circuit near Ellon, it's a race that means a lot to me. Back in 2006 it was my first ever bike race. I was oot the back in the first 100 yards - a tough introduction to bike racing!

A year later I was back, and flying after a week riding in France. I launched an attack within the first mile and three of us got away. By the finish we still had 2 minutes on the peloton, so it was gonna play out for the three of us. I sat in 3rd wheel as we got to 150 yards and left it just too late, finishing second by half a wheel. It's still my best result in my cycling "career".

By 2008 I was riding with the fast boys and put in a good shift before tiring near the end and rolling in a couple of minutes down. Close, but no cigar.
So, in 2009 I was looking forward to the race. I'd done well here in the past and as this would be my last race of the year I was gonna give it everything and go for the win.
What I hadn't accounted for, however, was how tired my legs were. The last two weeks had seen me & my coach try hard back-to-back sessions to see how I would react. I found out within the first couple of miles - my legs were dead! Doing 4 races over the previous weekend hadn't helped, but my legs were screaming as our group tore along the road at 28mph. The chaingang was working hard and early on I had to miss a few turns - I knew right away that i was struggling. I held on for a bit, but after 3 miles my legs were screaming and I had to sit up.
This was now my worst performance ever! There was nothing for it but to turn around and ride back to the race HQ. I put the bike in the car, drove home (about 20 mins) and then went back out and rode to a cafe. Coffee & cake didn't make me feel much better, but there was nothing I could do. I decided there & then to accept a bad day and just enjoy riding my bike for a few weeks before the hard work starts again in November.
I'll be back next year Ythan!!!

No comments: